Reel Highlights

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Conversations on Marriage

Venice asked me how old I was when I got married. (21)...She then announced that she was going to get married young - I asked how old...she said 17. I asked who she was going to marry...Elias. I told her she would turn 18 just before she graduated from High School...did she think she should graduate before marrying? She asked whether it was allowed. I told her different states have different rules...we googled it. In Oregon, you must be 18....However, if the parents agree, they can sign for you when you are 17....She is thinking about it.....

In the middle of this Xander chimed in....he wants to get married. Age wasn't a concern. I asked who he would marry...he said Diana....so we gently informed him that Diana was already married...he sucked it up....said he would marry Casey. Venice told him he couldn't....but the conversation diverged at that point and we never got back to Xander's choice. I did asked him where he planned to live after getting married, he said 3033 Blacktail Drive. I said your parents might think you should live in your own home. Venice asked, Is it allowed? I said he could live with his parents if they agreed. But they might think he should get a job and support himself...

I told Venice at the end, that most people think they should wait a little longer before they get married. That 18 looks really old to her now, but when she is 18, she might not think it is old. I asked her if she was going to work....she said no..I asked her what Elias would do...be an architect...So then she told me Mom's don't work. I said that I had worked, Tori had worked, and her mom had worked...she said with great surprise...Mom worked?......then she decided that you work now...you do mom's work.

Wonderful conversation.

-Granny

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home