Reel Highlights

Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Venice's LONG Story

I am trying to teach Venice the art of retelling a story... succinctly.... When I picked Venice up from school today, this is how our conversation went:

Venice: Mom (as she came from a different direction than her classroom door), I was in the Principal's office!
Mom: Why?
Venice: Because I was with two of my friends.
Mom: Why were you with your two friends in the Principal's office?
Venice: Because I got to choose them?
Mom: Why did you get to choose them?
Venice: Because they were doing something [pause] with ice.
Mom: What were they doing with ice?
Venice: I didn't like it.
Mom: What about the ice didn't you like?
Venice: MOOOOOM, that's not what I said.
Mom: What did you say?
Venice: They were watching something to do with ice.
Mom: And who were "they"?
Venice: The class.
Mom: Ok, so the class was watching something with ice and so you were in the Principal's office?
Venice: Yes.
Mom: I'm still not sure why you were in the office?
Venice: Because we were coloring.
Mom: Why were you coloring in the Principal's Office?
Venice: Because the Vice Principal was out of her office.
Mom: Ok, so the class was watching something to do with ice, you didn't like it?
Venice: Right.
Mom: Were they watching the movie Ice Age?
Venice: Yes, and it made me nervous. I almost cried.
Mom: Ok, so they were watching Ice Age, you didn't like it, so you asked to do something else. They said you could color?
Venice: Yes, and I got to pick two friends to come with me.
Mom: And you all went to color in the Vice Principal's office, but she wasn't there, so you went to the Principal's Office?
Venice: Yes.

GOT IT! It only took 15 minutes to uncover. I tried to explain to her that we discussed this all backwards. We started the conversation at the end and had to use a billion questions to get to the beginning. And could the next time she just start at the beginning and say it in only one sentence? I'm sure she got it.. right?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home